Tuesday, July 22, 2008

CBC spoils Toronto FC - Montreal Impact clash

So I was searching the dial to find where I could catch the final match of the Canadian Championship between Toronto FC and the Montreal Impact (tonight, 7:00 p.m.). Flicking through the menu on my digital cable box, I discovered the game is being shown on two channels: TLN (an Italian cultural channel out of Toronto) and something called CBC Bold.

Well, despite pumping out a considerable sum every month to ensure I get total football coverage (Setanta, check! GolTV, check! Fox Sportsworld, check! The Score, check!), I do not get either of these sideshow channels. This is not going over well.

The game will decide the supposed Canadian champions, since Montreal are in the driving seat, only a win for Toronto will snatch the title for the Reds. It's going to be captivating stuff, and will hopefully provide a new birth for Canadian club football. The winner will gain a berth in the CONCACAF Champions League to boot.

But I'm going to have to sit in front of my computer screen, watching the game via the CBC website, in a teeny, tiny viewing window, with a halting, grainy picture.

What would CBC need to preempt to put the game on their main feed? Coronation Street, Just for Laughs Gags, The Rick Mercer Report and This Hour Has 22 Minutes! That's it. A bunch of bleeding reruns.

The national, publicly funded network is showing reruns instead of what could be a defining moment in the country for the world's game.

I encourage anyone who is even marginally as outraged as I am to send the CBC an email, letting them know they missed the boat on this one.

No comments: