Friday, March 28, 2008

Gillett speaks candidly about Liverpool FC

I just finished listening to the interview of Liverpool owner George Gillett by Bob McCown and Stephen Brunt on Prime Time Sports yesterday.

I must say I think I was wrong to ever think Gillett and co-owner Tom Hicks were cut of the same cloth. Over the course of the interview, which was summarized on ESPN Soccernet along with a link to an audio version, Gillett was very forthcoming about the very unpleasant behind-the-scenes business at Liverpool. I'm beginning to see who the real problem is in the Liverpool front offices.

Gillett revealed that his relationship with Hicks has become unworkable and that his life has been threatened by individuals who don't want to see Hicks take a controlling stake in the club. Over the course of the interview, I became convinced that Gillett is truly a man who cares deeply about the fate of Liverpool, just as he cares about the Montreal Canadiens, his National Hockey League club.

This only ads to the sordid tale that has become the biggest off-field story of the Premier League season, but I think Liverpool fans should take heart from at least one owner's words and that all is not yet lost for the future of the club.

I encourage any Liverpool fan to read the article and download the clip, it is definitely worth your time.

No comments: