Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Goodbye 2007, Hello 2008

The holiday season being what it is, I haven't spent much time in front of a computer screen over the past two weeks, and I hope most people have done the same. Visit with your family, for crying out loud.

2007 is gone, along with all of its miserable baggage. England, the L.A. Galaxy, Leeds United, Tottenham and a host of other miserable footballing entities will be glad to see the end of last year.

On the other hand, I'm sure Alex Ferguson and Manchester United will look back on the past twelve months fondly, much to the chagrin of many.

I've managed to catch a good many games over the past days, during the English silly season. On Friday, I plan to recap the Christmas period in the Premier League and give my thoughts on the implications of four games in the space of 12 days.

On Thursday, I plan a proper recap of 2007. It was a big year, as always, for football and I want to highlight some of the juicer bits.

For any out there who haven't heard the saddening news, 35-year-old Motherwell captain Phil O'Donnell died after collapsing on the pitch Saturday in Scotland. Along with the passing of the young Sevilla player Antonio Puerta, 2007 was a tragic year for footballers and fans.

Watching the Aston Villa v. Tottenham game today, I thought the hosts did well to honour O'Donnell in a touching pre-match tribute. It was the second time in the past few days I'd watched a club do the proper thing by respecting those who have gone before.

At the Sunderland v. Bolton game on Saturday, the Black Cats continued a tradition of observing a moment of silence to honour former players and fans who've passed away during the year. Taking place before their last home match of the year, I thought it was an excellent salute to the people who make football part of the fabric of life around the world.

Happy New Year all and take a moment to remember those who have made the game great over the years, fans and players alike.

No comments: